Monday, January 7, 2013

Welcome Back!!

Dear Class,
What a great day we had!  I am so impressed with the level of attention and motivation I saw today (and I WASN'T looking in the mirror!).  We had a busy day, but ended it with our earned (and gifted) Choice Time, which many of you used to do homework.  Again, I was impressed by that level of motivation!  Must be some great presents at home to promote using Choice Time so home time can be spent in OTHER ways!  I was very happy to see all of you this morning (except one, I.K) as I have missed your bright, smiling faces!

Here is our homework for this week:

Reading:  Continue to log pages (we will meet this week and next to conference about increasing pages).  Some of you need to be thoughtful about finishing your genre project book with enough time to complete the project work which is due on Jan. 30. For most projects, you can even start the project before you are done reading (especially historical fiction).  The only project that is changing is the biography and autobiography project, which I will post later tonight.

Reading:  We are working on summarizing this week, but some of you will need to finish the definitions for the story we will read tomorrow.

Writing:  We will only have 30 minutes to complete our newsletters tomorrow in lab, so BE PREPARED with your three topics and details so you can crank it out!  I saw some GREAT work being done in writing today!

Math:  Everyone has a sheet of homework.  My math class has a quiz on Friday over the following:
  • divisibility rules
  • prime factorization
  • LCM
  • GCF
If need be, take a look at Khanacademy or studyjams.com for some extra help. 

Social Studies:  3 sentence summary for the brief passage you had to read on the history of schools.

I know this seems like a lot, but remember that I gave a good deal of time to work on the reading and social studies assignments in class (outside of Choice Time), with the exception of math.  One goal to make for the new year is to use time wisely and be focused during instruction (that goes for ME too!).

No comments: